Presented by Gilmer Arts in Cooperation with the Gilmer County Chamber of Commerce Prospectus.
This is an comprehensive prospectus and entry submission form. Make sure you have adequate time to complete it before beginning.
The “Plein Air, Art in the Mountains” event is open to all plein air artists 18 years of age and up.
All paint mediums accepted.
Artists will paint “en plein air” at a variety of sites throughout the county during the 4-day event, Thursday-Sunday, May 19-22.
Thursday will be a free day with a list of ‘unhosted’ sites provided to artists who might want to visit and paint a day early.
Artists painting Thursday should come to The Gallery at 207 Dalton St. to get their canvases stamped 7am-5pm
Registered artists may submit 2 previously completed works for display & sale as part of the Silent Auction during the weekend. These pieces should be delivered to The Playhouse at 135 Dalton St. by Friday, May 20th at 5pm.
Any artist may opt out of the “previously completed” artwork opportunity.
Artists with artworks not sold as part of the silent auction will have the option of adding them to the On-line Auction that will go live after the event.
Gilmer Arts will provide The George Link, Jr Gilmer Arts Playhouse (aka The Playhouse) 135 Dalton St. as a safe place for viewing.
Artists will select up to 2 works, created “en plein air” during the event, to be offered to the public during the Live Auction.
On Sunday, May 22nd, we will close the event with a public fine art auction at The Playhouse 2-4 pm.
Pricing on works submitted for the Live & Silent Auction should include a value, a buy now price and an opening bid price. Calculations should follow this formula: Establish your Fair Market Value (FMV) Minimum bid = 30-50% of FMV (and no less than your rock bottom acceptable price). Buy Now Price = 150-200% of FMV.
Proceeds from art sold during the Quick Draw Auction, Live Auction, Silent Auction, and Online Auction will be split between the artist and Gilmer Arts 65%/35%, respectively.
As a fundraiser, the hope is that the majority of the works presented for display or in the auction sell.
All unsold work, both pre-done and those in the auction will be removed by each artist at the end of the final evening of the 4-day event. The artists will have the option of moving their art to the Gallery at 207 Dalton St. to exhibit for the on-line auction.
Photographers will be included this year. They will not be scheduled to sites but are free to visit all the sites hosted. If a photographer files this application the October Photography fee will be waived. Photographers will not be included in the auction but will exhibit their works from this event in a ‘plein air’ section of the October Photography Exhibit.
Rules & Guidelines
- All previously completed works submitted must be ORIGINAL and have been produced within the last 3 years. All works must be suitably framed, professionally presented and in excellent condition on delivery.
- Pre-done artwork must be framed, or gallery wrapped, and firmly wired with the apex of the wire at least 2 inches below the top edge of the frame.
- No saw tooth hangers will be accepted. Use the form below to submit information on your entries, along with a photograph of the works when you register for “Plein Air, Art in the Mountains.”
- NO changes in titles or prices will be allowed after April 29, 2022.
- Event directors reserve the right to reject works that do not meet the criteria established in these rules.
- All artists agree to participate for all 3 days of the event.
- Each artist is assigned (by the event coordinating committee) to a “location” for the first, second, & third day (Friday, Saturday, & Sunday May 20 – 22, 2022) of the event.
- Each artist will be rotated (assignments determined by the event coordinating committee) on Saturday of the event using the artist’s first choice requests as possible, first come first served .
- On Sunday, May 22, 2022 the “Quick Draw” event (timed paint out) will be held at Hidden Valley.
- If you are a participating artist in the Quick Draw challenge you must bring their working easels to display their Quick Draw entry for judging at the assigned location on Hidden Valley.
- If you are bringing previously completed art for sale/display/auction (as described earlier in these rules and information) all works brought for the silent auction sale will be displayed at
- The Playhouse and will be included in the silent auction during the weekend. If not auctioned/sold they may be added to the on-line auction beginning after the weekend.
- Commission – Artists receive 65% commission. Our goal is that Commissions will be paid by the end of the month (May 31, 2022) following the close of Event.
- Sales – Prices for the artwork brought for the silent auction/sale may not be changed after April 29th. Applicable sale taxes will be added to all bills of sale.
- Ownership – All works belong to artist until sold.
- Transportation – Packing and shipping charges, insurance costs, other handling expenses, and risk of loss or damage incurred in the delivery of Artwork to and from the event, are the sole responsibility of the artist.
|April 29||5pm||Registration Deadline|
|May 19||7am – 5pm||Canvases stamped at gallery – Free day of painting.|
|May 19-20||7am – 5pm||Delivery of previously created art to the playhouse.|
|May 20||7am – 5pm||Canvases stamped at the Playhouse.|
|7am – 8am||Continental breakfast picked up at Playhouse.|
|8am – 5pm||Hosted sites available to artists. **|
|5:30pm||Reception at Chateau Meichtry Vineyards, Complementary glass of wine.|
|May 21||7am – 8am||Continental breakfast picked up at Playhouse by volunteers|
|8am – 5pm||Hosted sites available to artists. **|
|May 22||7am – 8am||Continental breakfast picked up at Playhouse by volunteers|
|7am – 9am||Artists set-up for Quick-Draw challenge at Hidden Valley.|
|9am – 11am||Quick-Draw challenge at Hidden Valley.|
|11:30am – 1:30 pm||Quick-Draw challenge judging & free time. QD art delivered to Playhouse; food truck there 11:30 – 4pm|
|11:30am – 2pm||Staff / Volunteers set up for live auction; reception at Playhouse|
|2pm – 2:30pm||Quick Draw challenge awards & auction of Quick Draw art.|
|2:30pm – 4pm||Fine Art Auction & reception at the Playhouse|
Quick Draw Challenge Judge
Marsha Savage: The inspiration for Marsha’s art comes from a love of nature and outdoor activity. Some of her earliest memories are of taking off shoes and wading in a creek, picking up a pretty rock, looking at the moss and running her hands over it. There’s something about moss that just makes her want to feel it. She creates paintings from the Southeastern US, but also enjoys painting plein air in other places she visits. She loves to spend a little time walking and exploring each new location before starting to paint. It allows her to soak up some of the color partnerships found there; the way they integrate and harmonize with each other is usually first in her thought process.
Marsha has been painting for almost 50 years. Several of Marsha’s paintings were chosen for the Georgia State Capital, offices of David Ralston, Speaker of the House: a 48″ x 36″ oil painting, and two smaller paintings. There were four large oil paintings commissioned for the Northeast Georgia Regional Hospital in Gainesville, GA, which are installed in the Surgical Wing waiting room. The same company also commissioned a large oil, 30″ x 66″ for a new wing of a hospital in Braselton, GA. Marsha has paintings in corporate and private collections across the United States.
Marsha is a Signature Member of several art organizations and enjoys being a member of local and national organizations. A highlight is that she has attained Master Circle Status in the International Association of Pastel Societies in 2013 and received the Gold Medallion at the convention in June 2015. She plans several workshops each year and participates in plein air festivals and paint-outs as often as possible. She is asked frequently to give programs at arts organizations on her painting techniques, marketing and how she grew and manages her art career. Demonstrating at arts organizations and galleries several times each year is a real treat for Marsha. She has studied with many talented and wonderfully giving artists and continues to take from several!
- Quick Draw Challenge, a timed two-hour challenge, Sunday May 22, 9:00 am at Hidden Valley on Little Mtn. Town Creek
- First Place Cash Award of $500 will be presented to the winner of the timed challenge at the Closing Reception
- A “Best in Show” Cash Award of $500 will be presented to the winner at the end of the Auction.
- Due to weather & logistics issues at The 2021 Plein Air event the “Best in Show” was not awarded. This award is a Peoples’ Choice award. We will be using that money this year to award a 2nd & 3rd place & Honorable Mention “Peoples Choice” Award.
- 2023 Logo Design Contest – “Plein Air, Art in the Mountains” will again sponsor the 2023 Logo Design Contest.
- All artists registered for the “2022 Plein Air, Art in the Mountains” event are eligible to enter a painting to be considered for the 2023 Plein Air, Art in the Mountains logo.
- The winning painting will be selected by the event committee.
- Criteria: Theme – A generic depiction (not site specific) of a vignette, a landscape, an artist painting “en plein air” in one of the locations listed for the event.
- Medium – Artists choice.
- Entry Deadline – July 15, 2022.
- Works may be painted during this year’s event or submitted on or before the deadline from sketches done onsite, or from sketches or photographs after the event ends.
- The winner of the Logo Design Contest will be announced on August 15, 2022. The winning work will be used in the logo for the 2023 Plein Air, Art in the Mountains, and the artist will receive a complimentary registration to the 2023 event.
- Continental Breakfast & Lunches – Continental Breakfast will be available Friday 7:00am till 8:00 am at Gilmer Arts Gallery, 207 Dalton St. Ellijay, GA.
- Continental Breakfast will be brought by your volunteer on Saturday & Sunday to your assigned site.
- Lunches Friday and Saturday will be brought to your afternoon assigned site by your volunteers.
- The Hosted Locations for each day will be listed in your event booklet (Friday – Sunday) and available at 8:00 am for artists to paint. Painting will end at 5:00 pm. A reception will be held on Friday evening at Chateau Meichtry at 5:30pm. Artists will receive one complimentary glass of wine. Sunday activities will take place outdoors in Hidden Valley and indoors at The Playhouse. A list of unhosted properties will be in the booklet for visiting on Thursday (A Free Paint Day)
- The two-hour Quick Draw Challenge will be on Sunday morning in Hidden Valley. Painting will begin precisely at 9:00 am and end precisely at 11:00 am. The winner will be announced at the beginning of the auction at 2pm. Timers will audibly announce the start and end of the Challenge. NOTE: Participation in the Quick Draw Challenge is optional.
- Artists will be free to arrange their own lunch on Sunday with a break between the Quick Draw and the Auction. You will be given vouchers for a food truck that will be at The Playhouse for lunch . Set up for the Live Auction will be completed between 12-2:00pm. The public will be able to preview the artwork prior to the auction from 1-2pm. A “Best in Show” award (selected by the members of the public who are registered for the auction) presentation will take place at 4:00pm. Only works produced during the 3 days of the event are eligible for “Best in Show.”
- Each artist should select their first choice for morning and afternoon of hosted locations* to which they wish to be assigned. All assignments, however, will be based on a space available, first-come, first-served. Every effort will be made to honor the artists’ choices, but final assignments will be made by event directors to ensure balanced distribution of artists. Space will be limited, please register early.
- Please be sure that your registration is complete before submitting it to Gilmer Registrations should include:
Hosted Location – A hosted location will be a site at which a refreshment station is available, manned by event volunteers. Host Locations will have facilities available to the artists. A Continental B’fast & Lunch for the artists will be delivered to the hosted locations.
All reasonable care will be exercised in the handling and exhibiting of work. Sole liability for the art rests with the artists. All movement between buildings and vehicles will be the responsibility of the artists.
DEADLINE FOR ENTRY:
April 29, 2022. Registrations will not be accepted after that date.
If you do not pay through the website you must send in, or bring to us, a check for the entry fee of $35 should be made payable to Gilmer Arts. Once accepted, artists will be assigned to their hosted location. Space will be limited, so early registration is advised.
*Artists who bring previously completed works for display and sale should include a photograph or digital image (jpg only, 300 dpi) of the work along with their registration fee and the completed application. Documentation and photos should be sent to Gilmer Arts via traditional mail or via email (email@example.com) by the entry deadline date, April 29, 2022.
Previously done artwork being brought for display and sale can be delivered starting Thursday, May 19th at 7:00 am, to The Playhouse 135 Dalton St., Ellijay, GA 30540, where it will be viewable in the Silent Auction til May 22nd at 4:00 pm. Delivery of works and removal of works not sold at the event’s conclusion are the sole responsibility of the artist. Note: Artists will be notified of the pre-done artwork accepted prior to the event. Artworks not sold in the silent auction can be taken to the gallery and added to the on-line auction by artists after 4pm Sunday.
Novice Plein Air Painters in Training:
To encourage new painters to join this wonderful activity you will be able to designate your entry as Novice/Training. If so designated you will not be able to compete in the Best in Show award. You will be allowed to enter two previously done paintings for the silent auction and two plein air paintings for the live auction. If we have five (5) painters sign up for this group, we will have an experienced painter to stay with this group and give them tips for improving their plein air experience.