- This event has passed.
Plein Air Workshop – Kathy Rennell Forbes
March 1 @ 9:30 am - 3:30 pm
An event every day that begins at 9:30am, repeating until March 2, 2018
Two-Day Plein Air Workshop with Kathy Rennell Forbes
On Thursday March 1st and Friday March 2nd, 2018 Gilmer Fine Artists and Gilmer Arts will host a 2-day Plein Air Workshop. Noted international artist Kathy Rennell Forbes is the instructor.
The workshop will start with a review of materials followed by an outdoor watercolor demo and discussion in the morning. After a short lunch break, the students will create their own value studies, sketch their painting, then paint the scene. First day we will focus on vegetation in landscape. Second day we will focus on architecture with a morning demo by Kathy. She will work which each student individually as they finish their plein air painting.
Students are welcome to work in watercolor, acrylic or oil paint, the instructor is experienced in all but will demonstrate in watercolor. We will focus on creating value study sketches.
Students should have sketches or photo back-up in case of inclement weather. Artist will work from a photos or sketches if needed.
Please bring a sack lunch and drinks.
Cost for the 2-day workshop is $200. $100 due at registration, balance due by February 1st 2018. Call if you would like to register for this class and make two payments. Click the button below if you would like to pay the entire fee for the class.
Plein Air Workshop Supply List
- Watercolor Journal – 140lb Arches spiral bound journal (5-3/4×8-1/4”) or ¼ sheets of Arches or artist grade 140lb watercolor paper (11×15”) *
- Easel if you paint up right, chair and TV tray if you paint flat *
- Purse organizer from Container Store or other small storage bag with pockets *
- Watercolor paints in small portable palette that fits in your bag (Yarka, Winsor Newton or Daniel Smith)
- (Have a warm and cool of each primary: red (scarlet lake & DS quinacradone rose), yellow (Winsor Lemon & yellow ochre) & blue (cobalt & Ultramarine blue; burnt sienna, and viridian. Black optional)
- Watercolor Brushes:
- Koi watercolor brushes (1 small flat and small or medium round) OR
- ¼ or ½ flat, round (size 8, 10 or 12) small liner or rigor brush, small scrubber brush
- Mechanical Pencils (1-2)
- Water soluble graphite stick 4B
- Small sketch pad for your thumbnail sketches
- Molotow Masking liquid 2.0 mm
- Waterproof Ink Pens (I like Faber- Castell) 1 to 4 pens in black or sepia (OPTIONAL)
- Small spray bottle to mist your paints
- Medicine bottle to hold erasers (kneaded and magic rub) and small sponges *
- Small container of salt *
- Small toothbrush (break one in half or use small travel brush) *
- Small straight edge or angle for drawing (cut old carpenter’s ruler down to just two pieces) *
- Packet of travel tissues *
- Small water container (old flask or used water bottle) and small bucket*
- Zip lock bags (one medium to store your journal and one small for trash) *
- Small clips (2-4) to hold paper
- View finder *
- Hat to shade your eyes and face, Sunscreen and bug repellent
- Binders sells a kit (KRF watercolor journaling) that contains the majority of supplies.
- Contact Binders (404-237-6331) to order at a discount.
Kathy Rennell Forbes
International Artist & Instructor
Kathy Rennell Forbes is an accomplished International artist and instructor. She recently taught plein air workshops in Cuba, Italy, Spain and the USA. Her 2017 Plein Air Workshops in Kiawah Island, SC and Tuscany, Italy have sold out. Her artwork is in private and corporate collections around the world, including the French Olympic Committee in Paris.
The artist is a Signature Member and past President of the Georgia Watercolor Society and has won numerous awards, including 1st Place at the 2016 Olmsted Plein Air Invitational Paint Quick Competition in Atlanta. Forbes was one of thirty invited artists to the prestigious Olmsted Plein Air Invitational in Atlanta in April 2017. She also won 1st Place at the Plein Air Paint Out in Eatonton, GA May 2017.
Forbes earned her BFA in Art and Art Education at the University of Georgia in Athens. Kathy currently creates, instructs and exhibits her representational artwork at Studio Z in Atlanta’s Westside Arts District., at Chastain Arts Center and Kennesaw State University Osher Life-Long Learning Institute.
For 2018, Forbes will be teaching Art Workshops: Dunwoody, GA and Cocoa Beach, FL in January; North GA in March; Provence, France in June; and Tuscany, Italy in October.