- This event has passed.
Class – Beginning Stained Glass Copper Foil
September 12 @ 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm
An event every week that begins at 12:00 pm on Thursday and Friday, repeating until September 13, 2019
Instructor: Warren Acree
Pricing: $80 (Members get a 10% discount on class fee), supply fee of $45.
Class runs 2 days a week for 2 weeks. Minimum of 2 students, max of 4.
In this course, a beginner student will construct 2 designs. The first will consists of straight lines and angles and the second incorporating curves. Through these two projects, the student will gain an understanding of the following:
- Stained glass tools and correct usage
- Types of art glass
- Designing, pattern-making, and use of pattern shears
- Scoring, cutting, and breaking art glass into various shapes
- Methods of cutting glass shapes with cathedral and opalescent glass
- Copper foil – Selecting correct type for various application. How to properly apply foil to art glass.
- Soldering – The use of 50% tin / 50% lead and 60% tin and 40% lead solders. How to solder tack, tin (or flat line), and apply a smooth raised bead
- Application of framing came. Options and applications
- Creating and applying hangers and loops
- Finishing with patina and polish
Student projects will be chosen from 6 designs (3 for each project). Students are to take their personal projects and items home after each class session.
The supply fee covers supplies provided: workboard, art glass, zinc framing, plus the use of instructor tools and expendable supplies.